Friday, December 5, 2008

So what do we ride in the winter?

Many of the members of our JDRF Ride Team are avid (read "crazy") cyclists who ride outdoors no matter what the weather is like. Today, for example, it's 20 degrees and snowing. The prediction is for 2 to 5 more inches of snow. I know there are team members who will be riding outside today. Not us. When the weather gets like this Mary and I head indoors. It's time for riding the stationary bikes at the gym. (Yuck) Or setting up our bikes on an indoor trainer. Either way it's not the same as riding outdoors. I'll happily ride for 50 miles in 90 degree heat with a 20 mph head wind before spending 30 minutes on the gym "bikes". Unfortunately, since I'm not as hard core as some of our buddies, it's into the gym I go. My goal for this year is to get outside for a ride at least once each month. November was easy. December is starting off kind of tough. Although, the last couple years we've gone for a ride on New Year's Eve because temperatures topped 50 and it was sunny. We'll have to wait and see.

No comments: