Thursday, September 20, 2018

1,000 day

Today I rolled over 1,000 miles of cycling for this year. My goal is 1,500 miles. With the big JDRF ride still ahead, if the weather holds I may make my goal. Looking back over the last few years I usually roll over 1,000 sometime in mid-September to early October. So I am on my usual pace, which is good. I rolled over the thousand with a 22 mile solo ride tonight. Took the White Pine Trail into northern Grand Rapids and then home.

Cedar Springs Brewing was our first rest stop.
On Sunday Mary and I did a pretty big ride. We started by heading north on the WPT until the pavement ended at Sand Lake. (18 miles) We then rode south, stopping at Cedar Springs Brewing to have a giant pretzel and a beer. (22 miles) All rest stops should be stocked thusly. We continued south into Grand Rapids and eventually to Connie's Cakes. (48 miles) Mary's ride ended there as she needed to pick up her van to drive home. I continued on riding north along mostly city streets and circumnavigating Dean Lake. I rode down the new Jupiter Avenue bike trail before crossing the Grand River and returning home. (62 miles) I ended up with a metric century, my longest ride of the year. It felt good, if tiring, to get that many miles in. That 1,000 I mentioned at the start of this post has been done with a lot of 20-30 mile rides. So while I've got the miles I was concerned about my stamina. Sunday did a lot to help me feel ready for Santa Fe.

44 days until we ride 100 miles in Santa Fe to help find a cure for Type 1 diabetes.

No comments: